The Best Cooling Pillows – Our Reviews 2017
Finding the right pillow can sometimes be quite the task. But it’s an important one. So much of our time is spent sleeping; so, considering the percentage of your life spent with your head on a pillow, you might as well have a comfortable one, right? Cooling Pillows are a great way to ensure a comfortable sleeping experience, which will, in turn, improve your overall health, both mentally and physically. It is hard to sleep well on a hot and sweaty pillow with little to no air flow. A cooling pillow can help ensure that you are well-rested. The better the time you spend asleep, the better the time you spend awake!
If you're short on time and just want to get to our reviews of the best cooling pillows, you can find them below:
- Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow
- Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- Bluewave Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow with Bamboo Cover
- Blissful Serenity Bamboo Alternative, Hypoallergenic Down Pillow
- Coop Home Goods Hypoallergenic, Gel Infused, Memory Foam Eden Pillow
The Negative Effects of Poor Sleep
We all have heard, at least once, that too little sleep can have negative effects on your health, but how exactly are you affected by poor sleep?
If you’re not sleeping well or enough, here are just some of the ways it will wreak havoc on your body:
- Diminished brain function
While you are asleep, your brain is literally preparing itself for the next day. By doing this, it is getting ready to enhance creativity, help you pay better attention, help you learn better, and aid in decision-making the next day. Without good sleep, each of these things will be affected negatively.
- Worsened emotional well-being
Studies have shown that people that don’t get quality sleep actually have trouble controlling their emotions and behaviors or coping with change. It is also linked to depression, suicide, and risky-oriented behavior.
- Worsened daytime performance and overall safety
Not getting enough quality sleep makes people more tired throughout the day. As a result, their productivity level is lower, their reaction time is slower, and they have a higher rate of mistakes.
All of these reasons answer the question: why should I invest in one of the best cooling pillows? Because these cooling pillows are specifically designed to help you sleep more comfortably and as a result, better. And better sleep can help to improve all of the above ailments! An investment in the right pillow can even be thought of as an investment in your personal health!
Who Should Use a Cooling Pillow?
A cooling pillow really can help ANYONE sleep better. However, if you struggle with any of the following, then you should think even more seriously about investing in a pillow that keeps you cool:
- Insomnia or Trouble Sleeping
- Trouble falling asleep
- Metabolic symptoms (sleep talking, sleep walking, excessive movement during sleep)
- Poor mental health
- Poor complexion
- Night sweats
- Hot flashes
How to Choose Your Cooling Pillow
Cooling pillows are typically made one of three different ways:
- Breathable: these pillows are crafted to enable air flow through the pillow and prevent warm air from building up within the pillow. Proper air flow promotes evaporation of moisture which results in a cooling effect.
- Water/Gel Pillows: these pillows cool your skin with conduction. Heat transfers from your body to the water or gel which will make your skin feel so much better.
- Phase-Change Material Pillows: these pillows are designed to transfer heat to AND from your body. The heat is absorbed and released when the PCMs change from liquid to solid or from solid to liquid
Whichever one you choose may depend on your personal sleeping style. For example, a bamboo, gel, or memory foam pillow might work better for you if you sleep on your back or side because of their thicker texture, while a breathable pillow might be better for you if you sleep on your back. The cooling pillow helps control your temperature, but it is important to get the proper type of pillow to fit your sleeping style as well.
The best cooling pillows are the ones that encompass all three of these features AND can adjust to whoever uses them. Customizable and comfortable are key!
Cooling Gel Pillows vs. Cooling Bamboo Pillows
Gel pillows are soft and cushy, but they have a memory foam base that offers more support than a standard down pillow would. Because they are made of gel and memory foam, these pillows don’t need to be adjusted to go back to their normal shape after having been slept on. They are also washing-machine safe, light, and hypoallergenic.
However, although these pillows offer some support, it may not be quite enough for some people. They also are not super long-lasting as they can wear down or even start to smell.
Bamboo is actually naturally hypoallergenic, so it is a great option for many. Bamboo fiber promotes airflow really well while also being firm and supportive. The standard bamboo pillow design is made with memory foam that shapes to fit you. Bamboo also has antimicrobial properties that will ward off unwanted bacteria and odors.
However, brand new bamboo pillows are said to require some adjustments as they tend to smell like chemicals when you first buy them. In addition to that, they are a bit pricier than other pillow options. They also take a long time to dry after a wash, and they may start to smell musty.
What Brands to look for When Selecting the Perfect Cooling Pillow
There are a lot of cooling pillow brands, so we have narrowed down the top five “coolest” pillow brands for you. They include:
- Sleep Restoration
- Bluewave Bedding
- Blissful Serenity
- Coop Home Goods
All of these brands have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to being the best cooling pillow. Keep reading, and you will find our cooling pillow reviews to help you decide which one is the best for staying cool!
Reviews of The Best 5 Cooling Pillows
Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow
- WARNING: Beware of counterfeit sellers! The only authorized seller of the Sleep Restoration brand is RESTORATION GOODS. Do not purchase...
- SUPER PLUSH MATERIAL - Our Sleep Restoration Gel-Filled Fiber Pillows are crafted in super plush gel fiber that puts all other standard...
- NO-SHIFT CONSTRUCTION - With their no-shift construction, our pillows are a fantastic place to rest your head. They're stylish, luxurious,...
- DUST MITE, MOLD & MILDEW RESISTANT- Our pillows are dust mite, mold, and mildew resistant! Additionally, they are completely allergen and...
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - We are so confident in the quality of our product that we offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee! If you are...
This pillow is one-of-a-kind because it is filled with a memory foam, gel-coated polyester fiber with a cool comfort technology. It is expertly crafted to ensure the greatest comfort while you sleep, no matter what kind of sleeper you are—back, side, or stomach. While being both comfortable and plush, this pillow is designed for ease. Its no-shift design means that you can bend and fold it however you like, and it will return to its original shape on its own. You won’t have to spend time fluffing and readjusting your pillow throughout the night, and you can get better overall sleep.
This brand of pillow also comes in packs of two, so you can either order for both you and a friend or even just get two pillows for yourself—bonus! Plus, you get to choose between either king size or queen size pillows.
It is clear that this pillow was designed not just with quality in mind, but safety as well. The material used to make this gel pillow are chemical and allergen free and resistant to dust mites, mold, and mildew, so they are a great option for anyone dealing with respiratory issues such as allergies or asthma. The Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow can definitely be expected to last quite some time. Its luxurious materials are stain and fade resistant AND machine washable!
The only downsides to this particular pillow are that, because it is so dense, it is heavier than a regular pillow. It is also made to be used without a cover which, for some, might be viewed as a drawback because you can easily remove a cover to wash. Instead, with this pillow, you have to wash the entire pillow. However, in this case, the good definitely outweighs the bad!
Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- Shredded Style Combination Memory Foam Pillow That NEVER GOES FLAT! Our Kool-Flow Soft and Luxurious, Extra Breathable Micro-Vented Cover...
- MADE IN USA CERTIFIED Bed Manufacturer Using Eco-Friendly Biogreen & Certipur-US Certified Foam. NOTE: PLEASE CHECK "SOLD BY" SELLER NAME,...
- Now With Zipper Removable Outer Cover To Allow For Easy Adjustment of Thickness and Comfort. Conforming Shape Orthopedically Supports the...
- Hypoallergenic & Dust Mite Resistant. Rolled & Vacuum Sealed For Eco-Friendly Shipping. We use a combination of Biogreen and CertiPUR-US...
- 120-Night, No Hassle REFUND GUARANTEE, FREE CUSTOMIZATIONS and FREE RETURN SHIPPING WHEN YOU CONTACT RELIEF-MART DIRECTLY. INDUSTRY LEADING...
This pillow is great for all you environmentalists out there. Both the materials used for the pillow AND the shipping materials are eco-friendly and high quality. The Kool-Flow micro-vented cover—made of 43% viscose of bamboo, 56.4% polyester, and 0.6% lycra—allows air circulation that diminishes body heat buildup. The cover is also zipper removable so it can be conveniently taken off for a quick wash. When ordering this pillow, you get to choose between either the standard size, the queen size, or the king size—and who doesn’t like options?
There are absolutely no health risks involved in the use of this pillow, so you are guaranteed to sleep soundly, comfortably, and without worry. The foam is hypoallergenic as well as lead, phthalate, and ozone free.
This pillow is filled with shredded memory foam that is luxurious, soft, and will immediately fit right to you for maximum comfort—with almost no adjustment period. It's airy, breathable design ensures that you won’t have to worry about it going flat while you are sleeping on it. The Snuggle-Pedic pillow’s conforming shape can help to relieve back and neck pain and is also great for use during pregnancy.
The Snuggle-Pedic brand is especially unique in comparison to other pillow brands because, if you get your pillow and it seems to have too much or not enough filling, you can actually send it back and the company will readjust it and return it to you right away—pretty cool! Because it is adjustable, this pillow can be a great option for literally anyone, no matter what kind of sleeper you might be!
Bluewave Bedding Memory Foam Pillow with Bamboo Cover
- ULTRA THIN PILLOW, STANDARD SIZED: Extra low profile, approximately 2.5 to 2.75 inches thick. Standard sized: 24" x 16". Designed to be one...
- VENTILATED & GEL-INFUSED: Ordinary memory foam pillows can get rather hot while you sleep. We infused temperature regulating cooling gel...
- CERTIPUR-US CERTIFIED FOAM: Don't settle for inferior foam. Our hypoallergenic 50D (3.25 pound) memory foam is CertiPUR-US certified,...
- PREMIUM, WASHABLE COVER: Included is a removable and washable rayon from bamboo and polyester cover. This super soft material naturally...
- BETTER SLEEP: Some sleepers need a low profile pillow to help align the spine. If you have sleeping issues, or find yourself waking with...
This pillow falls a little bit short on the versatility scale. At just 2.5 inches thick, the Bluewave Bedding Memory Foam Pillow is ultra-thin, meaning it might be a bit more suitable for those that sleep on their stomach or back as opposed to those that sleep on their stomach.
This pillow does make up for its smaller target group, however, with the rest of its design. It is specially made to feature a dual sleeping surface, meaning that it is rounded on one side and flat on the other. That way the sleeper gets to decide which is more comfortable for them specifically.
Its 50D, CertiPUR-US certified memory foam is infused with a temperature regulating gel to keep you cool while you sleep—since standard memory foam isn’t very breathable and can get quite warm. Plus, the materials used are hypoallergenic as well as lead, mercury, and heavy metal free meaning the VOC emission rate is very low—so less unpleasant memory foam odor!
The Bluewave Bedding Memory Foam Pillow comes equipped with a premium bamboo cover. This material is cooler than cotton, wards off unwanted odors, and naturally, gets rid of moisture. It is also removable and washable for the user’s convenience and ease.
Because of its minimal thickness, this pillow can help give relief for anyone struggling with neck or shoulder pain. If the head is not propped up very high while you are asleep, the spine can slowly start to realign itself.
If you are not one to sleep well using super cushiony pillows, then this one is a great option!
Blissful Serenity Bamboo Alternative Down Pillow
- ☆★ THE MOST WONDERFUL DOWN ALTERNATIVE - Who doesn't love a good down feather pillow? What we don't like about feather pillows is that...
- ✔PLEASE CHECK IF "SOLD BY" SELLER NAME, only Blissful Serenity products SOLD BY Eden Sales are GUARANTEED GENUINE. If you order from a...
- ✔COMPLETELY CUSTOMIZABLE PILLOW - One of the first pillows that is 100% customizable, simply unzip the zipper and take out as much poly...
- ✔100% MACHINE WASHABLE - The entire pillow is completely machine washable, if you ever need to clean your pillow the whole pillow and...
- ☆★ BACKED BY BLISSFUL SERENITY 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Your happiness is so important to us and we are concerned about this being...
Nothing quite compares to the feel of a delicately fluffy, perfectly cushiony down pillow. Down pillows pose a problem for those with allergies, though, because they are not hypoallergenic.
The Blissful Serenity Bamboo Alternative Down Pillow takes all the cushy comfort of a down pillow and adds a couple more, great features. This pillow is the perfect blend of soft and firm. Plus, its affordability is also a huge bonus!
Crafted with hypoallergenic materials, this pillow comes with a removable bamboo cover that can be easily taken off and cleaned—either by hand or in the washing machine—as often as you wish. The pillow itself can also be thrown in the washing machine if need be.
The Blissful Serenity Bamboo Alternative Down Pillow is made You can also get this pillow in both queen and king sizes—whichever suits you better. Although typically recommended for back and stomach sleepers, its fluffiness and softness mean it can also be just as suitable for side sleepers, assuming that particular side sleeper likes big, soft pillows. But let’s be honest, who doesn’t? It is also totally customizable! You can actually unzip the cover and take out as much of the polyfill as you wish, so this pillow really can be an awesome, affordable option for just about anyone!
However, if you are one of those who do prefer a firmer pillow, then this probably isn’t the right one for you.
Coop Home Goods Gel Infused Memory Foam Pillow
- WAKE UP REFRESHED - The Eden pillow features our most luxurious, gel-infused, cooling memory foam and a gusseted design that allows for...
- NO MORE SWEATY BED HEAD - Our Lulltra fabric, made of 40% bamboo-derived viscose rayon and 60% polyester, provides breathability, while the...
- CUSTOMIZABLE FOR YOU - Featuring our patent-pending adjustable design, the Eden pillow can be easily adjusted at home anytime. The zippered...
- Cashmere Softness - Our Lulltra fabric cover derived from bamboo provides unmatched softness, all while keeping you cool through the night....
- COOP HOME GOODS GUARANTEE - We've got you covered with a no questions asked 100-night trial. If you are not fully satisfied with the...
This gel-infused, memory foam pillow by Coop Home Goods—also known as the Eden Pillow—is perfect for just about anyone, but especially great for those that sleep better with significant head and neck support. At a totally affordable price, this pillow features a gusseted design that prevents the filling from shifting around while you sleep—also known as pillow pinch— so your pillow maintains a more even surface throughout the night.
The outer cover encases soft, conforming memory foam that is inventively cut into pieces to promote better air flow. This pillow also features Ultra-Tech fabric—40% bamboo-derived viscose rayon and 60% polyester—that works together with the cooling gel to create a comfortable and breathable pillow. You can also unzip the cover and pull filling out in order to adjust the pillow to your preferred thickness.
Also designed to be soft, supportive, AND safe, a huge factor that plays into pillow purchases. This pillow is hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant, and contains NO flame retardants. Additionally, it’s made for overall user convenience as both the cover and the pillow is machine washable.
This cooling pillow is a great one for those that like the feel of memory foam, but even though the memory foam is cut into smaller pieces, it feels about the same as standard memory foam. So, if you don’t dig the conforming material, this may not be the right cooling pillow for you.
So, which one of these “cool pillows”—pun intended—is the best? The Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow.
This pillow encompasses almost all of the positive aspects of the other pillows, those being:
- Effective cooling technology
- Zipper removable outer cover
- Adjustable thickness/filling (this one is done by the company, so you don’t have to!)
- Great for everyone—side, stomach, or back sleepers
- Safe—hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant
- Environmentally friendly materials
- Not one, not two, but THREE different size options
- Soft, comfortable, and cool
So, it seems pretty clear that although the other pillows are great, this one is the most versatile and usable. It really is the coolest pillow!